VIDEO TUTORIAL AT THE END OF THE POST!
What the hell is this you ask?! Well I had this idea in my head for some time, and I actually did this mani a while ago, back in September. It's essentially a hybrid of the scaled gradient and the reciprocal gradient, because there is two distinct reciprocal gradients (reversing of colour fade) that are directly adjacent to each other (a double scaled gradient). In other words, me going insane trying to push the boundaries of the traditional gradient.
Yes, I realize that the pinky yellow finger just looks like one coat of yellow, but such is life when you play with cremes too close in colour. Ah well, next time, no yellow gradients!!
Which colour combo is your fav? I'm loving the pink and the blue ones best!
If I screwed up on the alignment of any of them, it was definitely the purple middle finger. Slight miscalculation placing the striping tape and the curved divider that split the sections in half.
Cult Nails 'Tempest' white creme base always does the trick for neon manis that pop!
Here's an in-progress pic, at gradient stage number 3 of 4! Looks kinda cool just like that!
1MIN OR LESS VIDEO TUTORIAL:
In this particular mani, I used the following products apart from nail polish:
- Cosmetic foundation latex-free triangle wedges (aka sponges)
- Striping tape you can pick up from Amazon, eBay or Born Pretty Store (use my code SIMX31 for 10% off!)
- Curved french tip guides (the white stickers I used for the divide) from my local drug/beauty store (I think they're Kiss brand)
- Green painter's tape to protect the first scaled gradient
- 100% acetone and angled eyeliner brush to clean up excess polish around the nail (since doing this mani I've discovered a wayyyy easier way to manage post-gradient clean up - check out Liquid Palisade by Kiesque!)
- Quick dry top coat - HK Girl by Glisten & Glow
Polishes used (well this is a long one):
- Cult Nails 'Tempest' (white creme as base)
- Maybelline Color Show 'Citrus collide' (pale yellow creme)
- Pure Ice 'Show stopper' (bright yellow creme)
- Maybelline Color Show 'Bleached in peach' (light orange creme)
- Quo by Orly 'Hot mess' (neon orange creme)
- Maybelline Color Show 'Ultra violet' (light pink-purple creme)
- Quo by Orly 'Infused' (intense purple crelly)
- China Glaze 'At vase value' (light aqua creme) - you can now find China Glaze awesome cremes at Live Love Polish, a US-based international retailer!
- Sinful Colors 'Savage' (turquoise creme)
- Maybelline Color Show 'Pink punch' (light pink creme)
- China Glaze 'Shocking pink (neon)' (neon pink creme)