So, obviously I tried to overcomplicate the mani and went for a black sheer look that I first saw used by @badgirlnails (IG) as my base coat instead of a regular nude like Amber went for. Because I don't own such a magical sheer black jelly polish, I made my own by adding about 8 drops of black polish to a mini bottle of clear topcoat (you'll get the jist of it below in the polishes used section).
I'm probably more likely to win the lottery than this contest, but a girl can dream.
Here's Amber's original design:
|Credit: Armstrong Nails|
- Zoya Pixie Dust 'Dahlia' (black with silver glitter and a bit textured)
- Quo by Orly 'Hop skip and a jump' (like a pink/purple orchid, which also happens to be Pantone's colour of the year)
- Cult Nails 'Nevermore' (this has replaced my usual go-to black polish, Nails' Inc. 'Black taxi', and I must say I love it! Super opaque in one thin coat - it's like the nectar of the gods.)
- Quo by Orly Instant Artist in black (just used for the small detail on the middle finger)
- Fingr's clear mini top-coat bottle with 8 drops of Nevermore. I used one coat of this on my nails, if I'd used 2 it would have been a deeper sheer black which I love the look of, but I thought it wouldn't have given off enough contrast since I did, after all, have to put actual black on top of this. I do love the possibilities of this sheer polish (especially mattified), so I'm certain you will see more of me playing aroung with this soon!