VIDEO TUTORIAL AT THE END OF THE POST!
I used starburst nail vinyls from nailvinyls.com along with a foundation makeup sponge to help create this look. Check out the video below!
This mani is indeed confusing but it also isn't perfect. I didn't always line up the nail vinyls for both scales exactly the same. My pinky nail only has one point of a star as its third scale, and on the middle finger the third gradient is rotated weird. The green holo polish I used for the pointer finger didn't blend as well as the other holo polishes, so the gradients on that nail are kind of meh. Clearly this means I need to buy more holos. And do more practice!
|Starburst nail vinyls|
1 MIN OR LESS VIDEO TUTORIAL:
(see also 15sec version on Instagram)
The video should be self-explanatory but note that I cut the starburst nail vinyls a little bit so that the points did not surpass the black part of the gradient I'd just applied. I could have avoided this by making the black gradient go further up the nail, but I honestly didn't even know what I was doing or how it would turn out until I was done. Surprise!
Please check out the Gradient Guide for more general tips on gradients, quick dry top coats and nail vinyls, along with a dedicated section to scaled gradients at the bottom of the page.
- Color Club 'Angel kiss' (blue holo)
- Color Club 'Eternal beauty' (purple holo)
- Color Club 'Miss bliss' (pink holo)
- ILNP 'Mega (L)' (silver holo - stay tuned for a swatch and then some of this and the entire new ILNP Fall collection!)
- Girly Bits 'Lack of pies' (green to purple duochrome holo)
- Cult Nails 'Nevermore' (black creme)