Woops, I missed a spot, heeheeeee
If I could fit all six of the BTN summer galaxy collection polishes in my hand, I would be holding them here. Trust me, I tried, and failed.
Pretty sure the blue is still my fav in the collection, but I'm very much a blue polish lover so, yeah. They all look so pretty together it's hard to separate them. That's like separating a litter of cute kittens. NOOO, DO NOT DO THAT.
Here's one of the four Chinese sumi brushes I got from Karen (@sharingvu on Instagram). They are pretty soft and pliable, and I think once I get the hang of using them they can yield some pretty sweet nail art with beautiful lines. Check out Karen's Instagram for some amazing applications of these brushes. If you would like to get your hands on these, Karen now ships internationally on a by-order basis - email her at email@example.com to get yours! I bought a pack of four brushes (two sizes), and it came to $25USD including shipping.
Check out this tutorial for my tips on how to get the smoothest, fluid lines with every brush stroke!
Here's a cell phone shot of my mani when it was in progress, before I'd done the jelly dabbing.
1 MIN OR LESS VIDEO TUTORIAL:
(see also 15sec version on Instagram)
Oh, and yes, I fully realize I switch nails half way through. Truth is I got so carried away painting the pretty holos that I completely forgot to film my middle nail during that step. FAIL!
- Paint black base coat
- Prep your brush - see tutorial here!
- Paint on white acrylic paint with nail art/paint brush in desired pattern
- Dab on neon holo jelly polishes covering both the white and the black parts of the nail - this part can be completely random in colour application like I have done above, or you can choose to apply the colours with a colours pattern/design in mind
- Top coat and you're done - super easy!
There's no substantial drying time required between any of the steps, maybe just wait a couple mins after your black base to paint on your white acrylic paint to ensure the brush doesn't drag the black base coat. After that acrylic paint dries pretty quick so you're safe to apply the jellies pretty much right away. You could probably use white nail polish instead of acrylic paint, but it's likely it won't be as opaque in one swift coat as acrylic paint. The acrylic paint I use is all available at your local craft store, for less than $2 a bottle, sometimes even 99 cents a bottle. Nothing fancy there!
- Beyond the Nail 'Shooting star' (neon yellow holo jelly)
- Beyond the Nail 'Solar Flare' (neon orange holo jelly)
- Beyond the Nail 'Supernova' (neon pink holo jelly)
- Beyond the Nail 'Nebula' (neon purple holo jelly)
- Beyond the Nail 'Asteroid' (neon blue holo jelly)
- Beyond the Nail 'Comet' (neon green holo jelly)
- Cult Nails 'Nevermore' (black creme - my fav one-coater black creme to use for nail art! I've nominated it to be included in Nail Polish Canada's massive giveaway! I'll have the details about that in an upcoming post, but in the meantime make sure you enter to win 135 nail polishes [and counting!!] here)
- Craft store brand white acrylic paint